Thursday, December 28, 2006

 
Changes for the New Year

In June I started on Placquenil (or however it is spelled). The worse side effect of this drug is blindness. So, I have to have my eyes checked every 6 months which I did in June (for a base line) and then again in December. The eye doctor said there are 3 things they check for with Placquenil users – color blindness, peripheral vision, and they can actually see the buildup on the retina.

My check up in December was terrible. I failed the color blindness test miserably. The eye doctor asked me to come back in a couple of days to retake the test, everything else was about the same. In the meantime I called my Rheumatologist and told her the latest. Her response was to quit the Placquenil immediately, which I did. I was back to the eye doctor 3 days later; where I had a much improved color blindness test (still did not pass). He recommended I not continue on the Placquenil – so I am off that drug.

When I go in to see my Rheumatologist after the first of the year we will be looking at other options. I have no idea what options we will consider, but will cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, life goes on – sometimes with pain and less energy but it goes on. I plan on enjoying every moment of it. Happy New Year.
Elaine H.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?