Sunday, April 22, 2007

 
Something New ...

Well, it has been a long time since I Rambled about my RA. Things are about the same which is not good. (Hands, toes, elbows, hips, ankles, and knees all swollen and painful) With the medicines I have been taking my doctor was hoping for better results. My doctor does not want to increase the Methotrexate since I had some problems at higher levels. Since I had such bad side effects from the Plaqunell (vision problems) the next step is new medicines added to the ones I am currently taking – Methotrexate and Sulfasalzine.

I just picked up my first month’s dosage of Enbrel. This is a relatively new drug (not experimental) that has been used about 10 years. It is injected once a week. One of the biggest side effects is even more susceptibility to infections. My doctor said that once I start this drug even a relatively minor infection – say a throat or bladder infection – could kill me if I don’t get started on antibiotics immediately. Minor infection – kill me! That is a pretty scary thought.

I was talking to one of the professors at my work who has taken Enbrel. She said it’s nothing and she didn’t have any side effects from it. Not sure what she is currently taking. Given her hearty endorsement, Internet research that shows relatively few problems, my doctor’s recommendation, and living with constant pain, I have decided to give it a try.

Today as the pharmacist was explaining how to inject the medicine; I got weak in the knees and almost started crying. Now as I write this Ramble, I am fighting tears – why am I so upset? I don’t really know or understand my reaction.

Just a side note – the retail price of a month supply is $1521.91. That is 4 filled syringes at something over $330 each! If I didn’t have insurance, I could not take this drug- it would be way more than I could afford. I know the drug company has provisions to help people pay for this drug because this is something the average or even above average wage earning person could not pay for over a long period of time.

I hope it works – I would like to wake up and be free of pain, to be able to get out of a car without looking like an old woman, and not have the bottom of feet hurt most of the time. Funny what living with pain will make you appreciate.

Again, I do not understand why I am so upset over all of this but I am.

ElaineH.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?