Tuesday, April 15, 2008

 
It has been a very long time since I updated my RA blog and there are many reasons and excuses – way too many – so please accept my apologies and we will move on.

My RA seems stable; I guess that is the best word for it. Most days the pain is manageable and I can move pretty well. Then there are the days when all I want to do is lie in bed and wait for the second coming of Christ. But for the most part, life is good.

I am currently taking nothing but over the counter medicines for pain (Tylenol, aspirin, or ibuprofen). The decision to stop the meds seems haphazard as I try to write about it. It all started when I breathed in cleaning fumes last June. In December I was still having difficulty breathing. There is even talk that the RA may have moved into my lungs when they were weakened and my body sent all those antibodies to help heal the lungs. This is pretty scary as there is really not much to be done except treat the symptoms with asthma medications.

I seem better and can breathe pretty well. I haven’t gone back to the doctor and I am not taking any asthma medications, my choice. I guess I am really rebelling about taking medications. I am not opposed to taking medications, I have just grown weary.

When the RA was first diagnosed, a man I worked with told me I was about to learn why they call it the “practice of medicine.” I feel at times the doctors are practicing on me and I am tried of being the practice dummy.

I am sure I will start taking meds again, but for now I am taking a break, letting my body cleanse itself, dealing with the pain, and in the future, will look at it again.

Elaine H.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?